Wanted: freelance web / UI / UX designer(s)
We’re looking for a web / UI / UX designer (ideally with an awareness of service design) to collaborate with us, initially on a freelance basis.
The tasks we need help with are:
- mock-ups of new pages / sections / elements / features for existing client websites. On the one hand, the designer would need to understand and faithfully respect the style of the existing sites, while on the other, he or she should enjoy engaging with the nitty-gritty of UX to make sure that proposed new elements satisfy client and end-user needs as intuitively as possible.
- full website design projects (from single-page presentations to big multilingual sites with complex content types, structures and relationships). The designer would take charge of a complete site design, from first discussions of the client’s brief and decisions about how to tackle principal features of the site, through mockups of key responsive page templates/types (paying careful attention to the site’s content and data structure) and iterations, to hand-over of the mockups and design assets to the developers
We’re looking for people who:
- know what service design is, and think that it would be better if clients commissioning work would think of the service they offer as a whole, rather than having each part (like the website) done in isolation
- are aware, but healthily sceptical, of current trends in web design, and have a clean, uncluttered design style that’s roughly in-line with our portfolio
- don’t take a brief at face value, but find it interesting to also consider the kinds of issues and problems the client might not have foreseen, and try to solve those as well in the spirit of improving their service as much as possible
- balance clarity of message with aesthetic impact (bearing in mind that most of our projects are content-led)
- communicate carefully, politely and articulately in English and are happy to discuss projects directly with clients, alongside us or on our behalf
It will make life easier for us if you also:
- either design in code (it doesn’t have to be production-ready, but HTML & CSS) or use Adobe CC (Photoshop & Illustrator, XD), or Sketch… but if you can convince us something else is better, we’re all ears
- have experience of designing responsive websites
- know (even a tiny bit) about things like gulp, npm, atomic design, PostCSS, Lost Grid, Git and new front-end stack tools in general
- speak Spanish (other languages a plus too)
We would ideally like to be able to meet and work face-to-face occasionally, so although this isn’t critical, we’d love to find someone who lives in/near Barcelona, or in the UK, ideally in the North.
If you’re interested, have a look at our portfolio here on the site and visit some of our clients’ sites too, so you get a feel for what we do (and for whom). Then send us an email (to Thomas and Andrew at firstname.lastname@example.org) and tell us how and where we can see examples of your work, in whatever format is most relevant. The more you can tell us about what you do and how you think your experience matches (or out-performs) what we’re looking for, the better!